Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI (A4 platform): 1999 - 2005
The Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI Service Manual: 1999-2005 contains in-depth maintenance, service and repair information for Volkswagen Jetta, Golf and GTI models from 1999 to 2005 built on the A4 platform. Service to Volkswagen owners is of top priority to Volkswagen and has included the continuing development and introduction of new and expanded services. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures, and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself Volkswagen owner, this manual will help you understand, care for, and repair your Volkswagen.
Transmissions covered(remove, install, external service):
- 1.8L turbo gasoline
- (engine codes: AWD, AWW, AWP)
- 1.9L TDI diesel
- (engine code: ALH)
- 1.9L Turbo diesel Pumpe D?ÌÎå«ÌÎÌ¢se (PD)
- (engine code: BEW)
- 2.0L gasoline
- (engine codes: AEG, AVH, AZG, BBW, BEV)
- 2.8L gasoline
- (engine code: AFP, BDF)
- 02J 5-speed manual
- 02M 6-speed manual
- 01M 4-speed automatic
- 09A 5-speed automatic
Though the do-it-yourself Volkswagen owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of the same detailed maintenance and repair information available at an authorized Volkswagen dealer, the Volkswagen owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician. Technical highlights:
Additional technical content
- Covers Volkswagen Jetta, Jetta Wagon, Golf and GTI models based on the A4 platform. The A5 platform Jetta, introduced mid-2005, is not covered.
- Maintenance procedures: from oil changes to belt replacement.
- Engine and cylinder head service and reconditioning, including timing belt (4-cylinder) and timing chain (6-cylinder) repair.
- Explanation of Motronic M5.9, ME 7.1/7.5 and Diesel Turbo Direct Injection (TDI) engine management systems and ODB II.
- Emission control tests, repairs and adjustments, including Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Secondary Air Injection system.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair, including hydraulic clutch, gearshift linkage, and axles.
- Suspension component replacement, including front struts, rear shocks, rear coil springs, and wheel bearing/hub units.
- Heating and air conditioning repair, including A/C component replacement and the Climatronic system.
- Body adjustment and repairs, including front and rear doors, fenders, front radiator support and sunroof.
- Wiring schematics, including fuse/relay locations and a general explanation of electrical circuitry. Includes R32 wiring.
- Volkswagen OBD II diagnostic trouble codes, SAE-defined OBD II P-codes, as well as basic scan tool operation.
- Comprehensive Volkswagen factory tolerances, wear limits, adjustments, and tightening torques.
- Includes A4 platform product familiarization and R32 service information supplements.
For additional technical content for A4 platform Volkswagen models, visit our online technical library by clicking below.