Audi A4 Repair Manual: 1996-2001
The Audi A4 (B5) Service Manual: 1996-2001 is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for Audi A4 models built on the B5 platform from 1996 to 2001. Service to Audi owners is of top priority to Audi and has always included the continuing development and introduction of new and expanded services. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity and clarity, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures, and factory specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself Audi owner, this manual will help you understand, care for, and repair your Audi.
Though the do-it-yourself Audi owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of the same detailed maintenance and repair information available at an authorized Audi dealer, the Audi owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
- 1.8L turbo gasoline
- (engine codes: AEB, ATW, AWM)
- 2.8L gasoline
- (engine codes: AFC, AHA, ATQ)
- 5-speed Manual
- (transmission codes: 012, 01W, 01A)
- 5-speed Automatic
- (transmission code 01V)
- Covers Audi A4 sedan and A4 Avant (wagon) models, including quattro versions. Does not include S4 (sports model).
- Maintenance procedures: from routine oil changes to ribbed belt replacement.
- Engine and cylinder head service, including timing belt and camshaft replacement.
- Component testing, removal and installation for engine lubrication, cooling, turbocharger and exhaust systems.
- Fuel supply system service, including fuel pump delivery volume test, electrical checks, EVAP system, as well as mechanical and electronic throttle control (E-gas).
- Fuel injection and ignition system component identification, electrical testing, technical data, and throttle valve control module adaptation using the factory scan tool.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair, including hydraulic clutch, gearshift linkage and axles.
- Repair information for ABS brake systems.
- Suspension component replacement, including struts, stabilizer bar, multi-link elements, and wheel bearings.
- Body adjustment and repairs, including doors, fenders, front radiator support, instrument panel, sunroof, and seats.
- Heating and air conditioning repair, including A/C electrical component replacement, compressor, fresh air blower, sensors, and vacuum hose layout.
- Wiring schematics, component locations, and a general explanation of electrical circuitry. Includes factory wiring diagrams for A4 and S4 models.
- Audi OBD II diagnostic trouble codes section, including SAE and manufacturer defined P-codes.
- Comprehensive Audi factory tolerances, wear limits, adjustments, and tightening torques. Additional technical content
For additional technical content for B5 platform Audi models, visit our online technical library by clicking below.